What is Digital Media?

One interesting thing I found about the IRL podcast is how Emoticons came about and how much they've transformed now. I most definitely wouldn't think they first came about in the 80s either, that seems pretty early to me. The second thing I find interesting is that "Gangnam Style" is the first Youtube video to reach a billion views, that one is shocking to me since the video came out in 2012 and there have been so many viral videos before that one but I guess just not as viral. The last thing I find interesting is what web 4.0 could even consist of, "The growing use of social media and mobile devices in this generation is distinctive". What we use now which is web 3.0 is already so advanced.

I can relate to this quote by Sean Illing, "The algorithm thing is tricky to me. On the one hand, algorisms are making our lives easier by predicting what we want and giving it to us. On the other hand, our wants are so manipulated, so curated, that at some point it's no longer a meaningful choice and the algorithms are just doing our thinking for us." Social media now has people not even thinking for themselves, people want everything they see "influencers" have on social media. It is the majority of the people in my generation. I can also relate to the IRL podcast where Veronica mentions how Emotions can be taken out of context. Someone may not look at those Emoticons the same way you look at them or use them for. 

How does everyone feel about how our generation let what people do or look like on social media dictate how they should look or what they should do? 

Comments

  1. I agree with the paragraph about algorithms. I post videos on Tik Tok and some will do good, but others won't. I say to myself that I don't post them for the likes or views, I post them because I enjoy the editing side. It does discourage me sometimes when one video will do pretty good, but then another will not. It is hard for people like me, who do not want to pay for people to see my video. I want that to happen naturally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9

Week 11

Week 6